Informa Markets Thailand has organised a series of activities to create an understanding of the potential of food production in Thailand in the form of the BCG economic model.
Informa Markets Thailand, an international trade show business leader, has held a press conference on food technology events to prepare for ProPak Asia 2023 and Food Ingredients Asia 2023.
At the event, a cooperation agreement was signed with the Food and Packaging Innovation Centre, focusing on upgrading the food and beverage (F&B) production and packaging industries to make Thailand a regional hub for Southeast Asia.
Rungphech Chitanuwat, regional portfolio director for ASEAN at Informa Markets Thailand said, "We want to empower micro, small, and medium-sized enterprises to compete and become leaders in the global market as well as pushing Thailand to become a hub of innovations in the production process."
This year's general economic recovery has allowed the company to push forward in terms of raising awareness with travelling international groups. "Therefore, this year, we are pushing and supporting the new strategy as one of the events that will help stimulate the growth of the events industry according to government policy," Chitanuwat added.
|Rungphech Chitanuwat, regional portfolio director for ASEAN at Informa Markets |
"The food industry is not alone. But we are one of the event industry groups that help drive the overall economy of the country as a soft power in food culture. Therefore, strengthening the food industry from upstream to downstream is something that we need to work together to create. It aims to spark a complete ecosystem of the industry, both in terms of processing and packaging," she added.
In 2022, Thailand was an F&B producer and exporter worth $44.67 billion. It is also the 13th-largest producer and exporter in the world, and fourth in Asia, and domestic sales are not less than exports.
Assoc. Prof. Yuthana Phimolsiripol, director of the Food Innovation and Packaging Centre (FINN), said that collaboration in food technology events by Informa Markets is the beginning of the creation of product research and development as a business.
At the regional level and aiming at the international level, FINN wants to create a network for exchanging knowledge between departments and external agencies at the macro level to be able to jointly drive the Thai food industry's business.
“Informa Markets is a platform to showcase products and innovations globally and has expertise in being an organiser to push the industry from upstream to downstream," Phimolsiripol said. "Thus, under the connection by Informa Markets, both parties will collaborate to study, research, and develop new ideas to be useful in developing the economy and society in a wide area and upgrading Thai products for export, increasing competitiveness and strengthening the industrial sector, as well as helping to raise the country's economy in the future."
ProPak Asia 2023 will be held on June 14–17, while Food Ingredients Asia will be held on September 20-22.
There are also activities to visit factories and various projects to demonstrate production, processing, and packaging processes along with innovations in food ingredient technology in Thailand:
- The BCG Initiatives programme at CMU Mae Hia, which is a learning centre and network building collaboration by utilising and extending research from existing resources in the area;
- CPRAM's factory in Lamphun province plays an important role in the production of chilled or frozen ready-to-eat foods. Northern factory production helps strengthen the potential for economic expansion and job creation, generating income in 13 provinces in the north;
- YoRice is the owner of YoRice Amazake, a new rice-based and non-alcoholic sweet sake. Fermented rice drink is beneficial to the body, and is rich in B vitamins, amino acids, and antioxidants. Because it also has a high nutritional value, it is considered another superfood of the era;
- Sunsweet produces and sells processed sweetcorn and other agricultural products under the brand KC and produces according to customer orders. It operates in sourcing and distribution of food and agricultural products to support domestic and international customers. Sunsweet is currently expanding the market for customers in more than 50 countries;
- Nithi Food has been a producer of high-quality industrial spices for many years. In 1998, the company launched Pocket Chef and East Kitchen, as well as the Let's Plant Meat brand. It is expanding health research on flavour development for other enterprises with the standpoint of being a creative agricultural company.