Fodacon Bac Ha was penalised for not ensuring fire safety before the fire on May 25.
|Fodacon Bac Ha building was penalised for not ensuring fire safety just before the fire |
According to report No.17/BC-HDND dated April 26 on supervision of the observance of the law on the management of use of apartment buildings in Hanoi, the Fodacon Bac Ha building in Mo Lao ward, Hadong district developed by Fodacon JSC, a member of Conxtrexims Holdings (code: CTX), did not ensure fire prevention. Fodacon JSC was fined for VND1.6 million ($70.5), just before the May 25 fire broke out on the 18th floor.
This was one of the 40 apartment buildings in Hadong district that not satisfy fire regulations. 188 of a total 688 commercial apartment buildings in Hanoi violate the fire code.
According to police and the fire fighting department, the fire at the Fodacon Bac Ha building (Tran Phu street, Hadong district) broke out in the afternoon of May 25 as a mattress caught fire then spread to the whole 1806 apartment.
On the other hands, after the fire, the owner of the 1806 apartment sent a report to the police claiming that Hadong Power Company had come to repair and replace the meter on the 18th floor of the building on May 25. The power was cut on the entire floor from 3.45 to 4.15PM that day. The fire occurred only a few minutes after the electricity meters were repaired.
At 4.50 PM on May 25, an apartment on the 18th floor of Fodacon Bac Ha building was engulfed in a blazing fire. Residents evacuated the building and 15 fire engines were dispatched to the scene. The fire burst out, broke the glass window, the shards of which injured a person.
Residents said that they have heard the fire alarm, but were sceptical and thought it was only an exercise because they had just had one a few hours ago.
The fire was extinguished after three hours without any casualties but made all residents concerned about fire safety in the building.