The Ministry of Public Security (MoPS) has arrested and started prosecution of some high-level officers of Danang and two former public security officers for involvement in the case of Phan Van Anh Vu.
|Policemen investigating Phan Huu Tuan's house last night |
The MoPS has just prosecuted Phan Huu Tuan (63, living in Tay Ho district, Hanoi), former deputy director general of the General Department of Intelligence, for the charge of “deliberate disclosure of classified information” (Article 337 of the 2015 Criminal Code). After one hour of inspection at his home last night, the policemen has seized a package of documents.
The investigation agency also arrested and started prosecution of Nguyen Huu Bach, former security officer, for the same charge.
In order to expand the investigation of the case of “deliberate disclosure of classified information,” “tax evasion,” and “abusing position and powers while performing official duties" (Article 281of the 1999 Penal Code), the investigation agency has initiated proceedings against numerous former leaders of the central city of Danang. They are:
- Tran Van Minh, former Chairman of the Danang People’s Committee in 2006-2011 on the charge of “Offences against regulations on the management and use of State-owned property that lead to losses or wastefulness” (Article 219) and “Offences against regulations on land management” (Article 229);
- Van Huu Chien, former Chairman of the Danang People’s Committee in 2011-2014 for offences under Article 219 and 229;
- Nguyen Dieu, former director general of the Danang Department of Natural Resources and Environment for offences under Article 229;
- Tran Van Toan, former deputy director general of the Danang City Department of Natural Resources and Environment for offences under Article 229;
- Le Canh Duong, director of the Danang Board of Investment Promotion and Support for offences under Article 229;
- Phan Van Anh Vu (Vu “Nhom”), former chairman of the Management Board of Bac Nam 79 JSC and former chairman of Nova Bac Nam 79 JSC.
On January 4, Phan Van Anh Vu was taken into custody after 20 days of hiding in Singapore. In addition to the charge of “deliberate disclosure of classified information,” he is investigated for other offences related to economic activities, including the case at Dong A Bank.
During 2006-2014, the leaders of Danang approved to sell public houses and lands. Through the inspection of numerous public real estate projects, the Government Inspectorate determined that Danang made a loss of VND3.4 trillion ($150 million). Phan Van Anh Vu was involved in some of these projects.