- Your Consultant
- Green Growth
Applications are core to today’s successful digital transformation efforts – enabling enterprises to deliver personalised digital experiences to their customers to generate new revenue streams. Enterprises are increasingly modernising their applications to compete effectively and embrace the full potential of cloud environments. The challenges customers face are how to empower developers to deliver better software faster while still enforcing security and operations. To fully benefit from their investments in modern applications, enterprises also need to simultaneously modernise their infrastructure.
Today, VMware is introducing the newly-expanded VMware Tanzu portfolio for modern applications and VMware Cloud Foundation 4 with Tanzu, the automated, turnkey hybrid cloud platform that now supports both traditional VM-based and container-based applications featuring the new VMware Cloud Foundation Services using Tanzu Kubernetes Grid and the new VMware vSphere 7 to drive developer productivity. With the most comprehensive software stack for modern applications – spanning application to infrastructure – VMware is uniquely positioned to enable and guide customers to develop new modern applications as well as modernise existing applications and infrastructure.
“Today, we bring to market a comprehensive portfolio of modern apps to help customers accelerate their pace of innovation,” said Pat Gelsinger, CEO of VMware. “VMware gives developers the freedom to deliver apps to any cloud, remove barriers to Kubernetes adoption, and help IT administrators transform their skills in support of a new wave of modern apps.”
Vietnam’s digital economy is booming as it is projected to hit $43 billion by 2025. “Organisations in today’s burgeoning app economy need to rethink how they can accelerate agility, innovation, and time-to-market to respond quickly and deliver hyper-personalised experiences to their customers,” said Pham Viet Thang, country manager of VMware in Vietnam. “VMware Tanzu can help strengthen Vietnam’s innovation ecosystem by enabling enterprises to tap into next-generation technologies such as Kubernetes to build, run, manage, connect, and protect their apps across any cloud and any device.”
VMware Tanzu is a portfolio of products and services that enable enterprises to deliver better software faster. Customers can use the suite to automate the modern app lifecycle, run Kubernetes across clouds, and unify and optimise multi-cloud operations. Today, VMware is introducing the initial products in the VMware Tanzu portfolio:
• VMware Tanzu Kubernetes Grid – Newly available, Tanzu Kubernetes Grid is a Kubernetes runtime that helps customers install and run a multi-cluster Kubernetes environment on the infrastructure of their choice. It is designed to run Kubernetes consistently across any environment including data centres, hyperscalers, service providers, and at the edge. It includes the industry-standard open source technologies needed to stand up and support a cloud-neutral Kubernetes environment, is packaged for enterprise readiness, and is fully supported by VMware.
• VMware Tanzu Mission Control – Previewed in August 2019, Tanzu Mission Control is a centralised management platform for consistently operating and securing Kubernetes infrastructure and modern applications across multiple teams and clouds. It provides operators with a single control point for consistent management across environments and increased security and governance. Developers have self-service access to resources so they can get code into production faster. This service is now available.
• VMware Tanzu Application Catalog – Newly available, Tanzu Application Catalog delivers a customizable selection of open-source software from the Bitnami cataloge that is verifiably secured, tested, and maintained for use in production environments. The service gives developers the productivity and agility of pre-packaged apps and components, while enabling operators to meet the stringent security and transparency requirements of enterprise IT. This service was originally previewed as Project Galleon in August 2019.
Beyond today’s new announcements, VMware is further expanding the Tanzu portfolio. Following the close of the Pivotal acquisition in December 2019, VMware has moved quickly to integrate the Pivotal team, technology, and products. This includes VMware rebranding Pivotal Application Service (PAS) – purpose-built for developers to boost feature velocity and operations teams to deliver world-class uptime – to the Tanzu Application Service. Additionally, VMware has re-branded Wavefront by VMware to Tanzu Observability by Wavefront and aligned NSX Service Mesh with the portfolio as Tanzu Service Mesh, built on VMware NSX. These additions to the portfolio help enterprises to further increase developer velocity, holistically observe and monitor apps running in multi-cloud environments including Kubernetes-based environments, and simplify the way they connect, monitor, and secure microservices.
Unveiled today, VMware Cloud Foundation 4 with Tanzu will provide hybrid cloud infrastructure with consistent management for both VM-based and container-based applications while delivering intrinsic security and lifecycle management across software-defined compute, storage, and network resources. The platform helps to bridge the gap between developers and IT – enabling developers to rapidly build and update apps while providing IT operations with control and enhanced security. Available across diverse private and public clouds including the hyperscalers, VMware Cloud Foundation 4 with Tanzu will include the following components:
• New vSphere 7: Newly rearchitected using Kubernetes, vSphere is now optimised to run both modern container-based and traditional virtual machine-based workloads. Initially, vSphere 7 with Kubernetes will be available solely through VMware Cloud Foundation 4.
• New vSAN 7: To provide storage virtualisation, including File Services and Cloud Native Storage for modern apps.
• New vRealize 8.1: To provide self-driving operations and modern infrastructure automation capabilities for virtualised, cloud-based, and containerised workloads and applications.
• NSX-T: To provide full-stack networking and security services that connect and protect VMs and containers.
VMware Cloud Foundation 4 with Tanzu also introduces VMware Cloud Foundation Services, an integrated Kubernetes and RESTful API surface to enable organisations to drive API access to all core services. VMware Cloud Foundation Services will include:
• Tanzu Runtime Services: These services will deliver core Kubernetes development services including an up-to-date distribution of Tanzu Kubernetes Grid.
• Hybrid Infrastructure Services: Powered by the new VMware vSphere 7, these enhanced services will provide full Kubernetes API access as well as the infrastructure-as-code automation APIs delivered by vRealize Automation to span the world of VM-based applications and cloud-native applications deployed with containers.
Optimised to run all applications, VMware Cloud Foundation delivers a cloud operating model on-premises in a private cloud that extends to public cloud, enabling developers to use the latest development methodologies and container technologies for faster time to production. Enterprises will benefit from simplified management of containers and VM workloads across heterogenous clouds like AWS, Azure, Google, Oracle, Rackspace, and IBM, as well as VMware Cloud Verified partners, optimising performance, resilience, and availability.
VMware today also introduced VMware vSphere 7 – the biggest evolution of vSphere in a decade. VMware vSphere 7 was previewed in August 2019 as Project Pacific – which focused on rearchitecting vSphere into an open platform using Kubernetes APIs to provide a cloud-like experience for developers and operators. A foundational component of the VMware Tanzu portfolio, the new release will support all applications, including modern and traditional applications using any combination of virtual machines, containers, and Kubernetes. VMware vSphere 7 will further help enterprises to increase developer and operator productivity, enabling faster-time-to-innovation combined with the security, stability, governance, and lower costs of traditional enterprise infrastructure. New capabilities and features will enable enterprises to:
• Boost productivity: Developers will benefit from self-service access to infrastructure and additional productivity capabilities that reduce the amount of time they are required to spend managing infrastructure. Tanzu Kubernetes Grid is embedded into vSphere 7 with Kubernetes as part of VMware Cloud Foundation 4 to deliver Kubernetes clusters as a service to developers.
• Achieve Agile Operations: IT operations teams will benefit from new application-focused management, simplified lifecycle management capabilities, and a unified platform for consistent operations across clouds, data centres and edge environments.
• Accelerate Innovation: All enterprise applications will benefit from the advancements into vSphere 7 to accelerate innovation. Applications will be able to further leverage GPU hardware to accelerate the performance of AI/ML applications using elastic pools of GPU resources. Additionally, customers will be able to increase the performance of latency-sensitive applications using improved DRS, enhanced vMotion, and augmented support for persistent memory (PMEM) capabilities.
VMware vSphere 7 will also allow enterprises to continue to take advantage of existing investments in vSphere technology, tools, and skillsets.
VMware Tanzu Application Catalog, VMware Tanzu Kubernetes Grid, and VMware Tanzu Mission Control are all available today. VMware Cloud Foundation 4, VMware vSphere 7, VMware vSAN 7, VMware vRealize Automation 8.1, and VMware vRealize Operations 8.1 (both on-premises and as SaaS) are all expected to become available by May 1, 2020 (the end of VMware’s first quarter of the 2021 fiscal year).
VMware vSphere 7 will be available in two major configurations. The first configuration, vSphere with Kubernetes, will be available in VMware Cloud Foundation 4 with Tanzu to power container- and VM-based applications. vSphere will also be available in a configuration for VM-based application in a number of editions including VMware vSphere Standard Edition.
VMware software powers the world’s complex digital infrastructure. The company’s cloud, networking and security, and digital workspace offerings provide a dynamic and efficient digital foundation to customers globally, aided by an extensive ecosystem of partners. Headquartered in Palo Alto, California, VMware is committed to being a force for good, from its breakthrough innovations to its global impact.
|Digital prosperity is near |
Vietnam is swiftly developing its digital economy and infrastructure in order to proceed with the digital transformation of the country. Experts from leading domestic and ...
|Unlocking Vietnam’s digital future |
With its great potential, Vietnam is marching towards becoming a modern nation with a digital economy amid the Industry 4.0 unfolding far and wide, which ...
|Pushing digital economy in Asia-Pacific with Visa data security |
Cybersecurity, biometrics and safer e-commerce experiences are among the key themes at the 15th Asia-Pacific Visa Security Summit.