Vinh Tan 4 fire caused by safety mistake

March 09, 2017 | 08:15
The cause of the recent fire at Vinh Tan 4 thermal plant has been identified by Vietnam Electricity (EVN) as a safety mistake.

An employee of a contractor was welding to assemble pipe equipment near the flue-gas desulfurisation system right in the way of the gas coming out, causing sparks that shoot into the insulation that covers the system, causing the insulation cover to burn. The fume from this fire went out through the exhaust of the plant.

The fire did not cause any human damage. Equipment damage is being evaluated by the contractor.

The Vinh Tan 4 thermal power plant is located in Binh Thuan province, with EVN as the developer. The plant is designed to have two units, with total capacity of 1,200 MW. Construction started in 2014. The first unit is planned to start operation in December 2017.

The fire was reported at 10.45 am on March 7, 2017. The contractor, the managing committee of the plant and local fire police started putting out the fire immediately and at 11.30 am they succeeded.

The parties are working to find more details pertaining to the cause of the fire in order to prevent similar incidents later.

RELATED CONTENTS:
The fire at Vinh Tan 4 thermal power plant

By By The Hai

What the stars mean:

★ Poor ★ ★ Promising ★★★ Good ★★★★ Very good ★★★★★ Exceptional