Evacuation from vulnerable areas urged as Storm Molave approaches
09:25 | 28/10/2020 Print Article
Deputy Prime Minister Trinh Dinh Dung on October 27 urged the prompt evacuation of residents from coastal, low-lying, tourism, and landslide-prone areas in the central region as Storm Molave is forecast to make landfall on the morning of October 28.
|Deputy Prime Minister Trinh Dinh Dung (standing) speaks at the meeting of the steering committee for the Storm Molave response in Da Nang city on October 27 (Photo: VNA) |
Da Nang - Deputy Prime Minister Trinh Dinh Dung on October 27 urged the prompt evacuation of residents from coastal, low-lying, tourism, and landslide-prone areas in the central region as Storm Molave is forecast to make landfall on the morning of October 28.
At a meeting in central Da Nang city, the Deputy PM, who is also head of the steering committee for the Storm Molave response, asked authorities to instruct residents on how to reinforce houses, schools, hospitals, and offices, while calling for people to prepare food and essential goods in anticipation of prolonged flooding.
Stressing the goal of safeguarding lives and property, he also requested relevant forces take measures to ensure the safety of electricity, communications, and traffic systems, ready personnel and equipment for responding to any incidents, and protect reservoirs, dams, and sea embankments.
At 1pm on October 27, Storm Molave was about 470 km away from the coast of Quang Ngai province and moving west-northwest at about 20-25 km/h.
Hoang Duc Cuong, Deputy General Director of the Vietnam Meteorological and Hydrological Administration, said this is the most intense storm to hit the country in about 20 years, and when making landfall is predicted to be as strong as Storm Xangsane and much stronger than Storm Damrey, which wreaked havoc in the country in 2006 and 2017, respectively.
Localities from Thua Thien-Hue to Phu Yen have been reportedly evacuating more than 448,000 people and plan to complete the task by 7 pm on October 27. In popular tourist destinations like Nha Trang in Khanh Hoa province and Quy Nhon in Binh Binh province, local authorities have also briefed visitors on the storm and contingency plans.
General Director of the Disaster Management Authority Tran Quang Hoai said that as of 11 am on October 27, about 45,000 vessels with 229,290 seamen on board had been informed of the situation and sought guidance on safe shelter.
Officials from Military Region 5 affirmed their readiness to mobilise 66,000 personnel and 1,700 vehicles in response to Storm Molave, adding that other military units and forces could also be deployed if necessary.