Excerpt from Article 19b of Decree No.74/2018/ND-CP on responsibility of organisations using codes and barcodes
1. Organisations using codes and barcodes compliant with GS1 standards and prefixed with “893” defined by GS1 as the country code of Vietnam shall assume the following responsibilities:
a) Register codes and barcodes with competent state agencies;
b) Create codes and barcodes and attach them to objects in their possession as per regulations in force;
c) Provide competent authorities and other related parties involved in the supply chain with updated information about organisations and any entity using codes and barcodes:
d) Ensure codes and barcodes currently in use are unique, and products and goods failing to meet code and barcode quality standards are not being traded.
e) Avoid trading and transferring the right to use codes and barcodes to other organisations;(...)
h) Apply for issue or renewal of the certificate of code and barcode use rights;
i) Send written notification and return the certificate of code and barcode use rights to the competent agencies when they have no demand for codes and barcodes or their business is closed.
2. Organisations’ foreign codes compliant with GS1 standards shall assume the following responsibilities:
a) Ensure that their codes or barcodes are issued by foreign competent authorities or used according to a foreign code owner’s authorisation;
b) In the case of being authorised by an owner of a foreign code, these organisations using foreign codes must inform a competent regulatory authority to get confirmation of use of the foreign codes. (...)
4. Organisations distributing, circulating, and trading goods or products shall assume the following responsibilities:
a) Inspect and control the quality and legality of the codes or barcodes before the goods are put into free circulation;
b) Avoid distributing, circulating, and trading products, goods, or objects with codes or barcodes in contravention of regulations.
5. Organisations or individuals developing and providing services, solutions, and applications based on the codes or barcodes platform shall assume the following responsibilities:
a) Ensure the source of data on objects using codes or barcodes match the source of data on codes or barcodes under the management of competent state management agencies or GS1;
b) Not to disclose wrong information about owners of codes or barcodes or objects using codes or barcodes already compliant with applicable regulations;
c) Pay fees for usage of the national code and barcode data source.
6. The Ministry of Science and Technology shall provide detailed guidance on the use of codes or barcodes as prescribed in this article.